Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I went, I saw...and I am moving back home

In my last post I talked about how I was going back home. After a 20 year long absence, I had no idea how I would react or what I would see. My friends, my neighborhood and my city. I was afraid I wouldn't like it or something like that. It was the most unbelievable experience of  my life. I couldn't believe where I was or how little everything had changed. I was home, my neighborhood looks the same, my friends were there, and most important of all... i felt like I had never left. I have a hard time explaining to people when they give the good old question "so how did it go?" I can only quote Tom Cruise when he was asked about Katie Holmes (yes, I follow gossip... shoot me!) "It was amazing!" 
It was!! I don't know how else to talk about it! I couldn't have planned for a better comeback! And so now, after very little pondering, I have decided to move back. 
I'm starting life all over again back in the land where I was born. I'm quitting my job, changing careers and working hard to get the love of my life back. Sounds like a lot, yet it fits into one sentence. 
I guess since I have six months before I actually leave, I'm not scared yet. I'm sure at some point I will start freaking out. It just feels so right. I usually get successful results when I trust my gut. I have a hard time listening to my gut, that's how I know it's always right, because after I make mistake after mistake, I finally listen to my gut feelings and then I get it right. This time I'm trusting my gut right away, besides I don't think I have ever felt so sure of any choice I have made. 
It's going to be tough, and it's probably going to hurt sometimes, being away from my parents and my brothers. I know what it's like to be away from those you love, but in life you have to make sacrifices, and sadly I have to leave them to find my happiness. I definitely know that it's not here in Dominican Republic, I have been miserable more than I have been happy here. I have lived here for most of my life and, if it wasn't for my family, I would have no problems never returning here. I have learned to detach myself from people and places that bring back sad memories and this country is that, one sad memory. 
My parents have been sick, one of whom got sick because of the way people are here. My brother suffered the fact that he is foreign and payed a high price thanks to his dominican "friends". I have been in 2 abusive relationships with dominican men. One was an alcoholic and the other was over-protective and insecure. I have always been treated like a foreigner, even though I have never left this country and all my friends are from here. It is xenophobic and racist and ignorant and I can honestly say, with all my heart, I hate it. 
Sorry for the venting.... I feel better now. I will keep you updated of the upcoming events of my life-changing move. 
toodles

No comments: